Sunday, July 6, 2008

the return

Hello all! I have returned from my journey to Monterey. Albert and I pulled up last night at around 11:45pm. The front door was locked (I'm convinced they did this to play a joke on me because I always lock doors as a crazy NY'er and they just laugh). I had to use the side door which forced me into an encounter with what I believe was a frog. I'm not sure it was a frog, though. Regardless, it was a rather pitiful creature as it actually jumped into a closed door a couple of times before it realized it should go a different way. Rather humorous.

Albert left immediately for LA because of his piano gig on Sunday mornings. Poor thing only slept 4 hrs. But our trip was fabulous and I will post pictures and a play-by-play early this week! Our internet is still down so I'm blogging from my phone again. I haven't decided if I'm really dedicated to this thing or just a flat-out loser. Hmm...

I feel so refreshed after our trip. I spent today relaxing, eating great meals that Shelby cooked (breakfast burritos then later burgers with roasted garlic, basil and goat cheese). Later on I got in about an hour of reading and then Emily and I made yogurt right after John finished milking the goats. Then, perhaps the climax of the day was being presented with the birthday cake that Emily made me! The girl is amazing because, well, (1) she made me a cake and (2) WE DON'T HAVE AN OVEN! Seems impossible? Get this! She made pancakes and stacked them on top of each other to form the cake. She put icing and strawberries in between the layers (probably 7 in total) then covered it in icing and more strawberries. Insane! What's more is that MOST of the cake was made from stuff from the farm. She made the batter with regular flour but used our goat's milk; the strawberries are grown right here; and the icing was made using the chevre and sour cream we made and mixing it with confectioner's sugar. It was pretty and delicious!! Thanks again, Emily! :)

We ate it while watching Labyrinth, a movie given to me by Jenn starring none other than the love of my life, David Bowie. I really enjoyed the movie. It was a little weird, but not so weird that it lost my attention. I thought it was engaging and fun. And of course, I got to indulge in DB for awhile.

I will post a photo of the birthday cake as soon as we have internet again. Should be Tuesday, but I'll let you know when its up.

Right now its way past my bedtime. I may start biking in the mornings before work this week. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Emily Gordon said...

What an attractive cake that is!